Saturday, March 8, 2008

Knitting Books: KWT and The Purl Stitch

My brain is in a whirl, I've been reading two knitting books I have checked out from the Library. One is EZ's Knitting Without Tears. I read the Almanac from cover to cover, and her tangents are hilarious. I love the one about going to watch a ski competition, and how to pack a proper car picnic, and then she eventually gets back to knitting. In KWT, she talks about how using rubberbands to make a 'stopper' for your dpn (not her wording but I've forgotten her term) is better than buying those made for the job gadgets because they can never be found and rubber bands can be. And some people have gotten smart and tied the two gadgets together, so they can both be lost at the same time!

Whatever sense of humor she has, I have it exactly. I know I'm not alone, because she has a sort of cult following. I haven't knitted anything by her yet, but am eyeing the tomten jacket in this book for baby Moto. Another hilarious EZ reading moment from KWT: She is on the subject of the long tail cast on vs. the knitted cast on, and going on and on about how the knitted cast on is soooooooooo much better, and concludes: "The answer as to why I still insist on using the long tail cast on is : I don't know. "

The other book I'm reading is the Purl Stitch by Sally Melville because I'm going to take two of her classes next weekend. I'm on the section that covers reverse shaping. "For reverse shaping on a bind off edge, where one piece is decreased on a right side row, the decreasing on the reverse shaped piece should be done on a wrong side row." etc., etc. She does a much better job with the wording, but the biggest lesson I have learned so far is that I have tons and tons to learn! I am going to order this book.

I am a total cheapo when it comes to knitting books, but having spent some time with this one, I know I'll refer to it. Plust my birthday is coming up. My tenth annual 27th birthday. I can't believe it!

Yuck.

2 comments:

MRS MJW said...

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. I am glad to be of assistance to anyone who may think of starting smoking or who is trying to quit. It certainly is one of the hardest things I've ever done. It isn't actually the quitting that's hard...it's the staying quit. I tell my kids that this is why you RUN from temptation. It sucks you in, and when you are hooked it will always be something you restle with. I hope your children and mine never smoke. Cheers to you and yours!

yarnfloozie said...

I just read the Almanac again yesterday...my poor husband just about knows all the funny bits by heart. Definitely the picnic quote!!